San Antonio’s Facial Plastic Surgeon
When you need a facial plastic surgeon in San Antonio, TX, you won’t find one better-qualified than Dr. Jose Barrera. His expertise is backed by decades of study, research, and education. Come into Texas Center for Facial Plastic and Laser Surgery to meet Dr. Barrera, San Antonio’s facial plastic surgeon.
Excellence in Expertise: Board Certified and Fellowship Trained
Board-certification is the hallmark of a highly trained and dedicated doctor. To receive this valuable distinction, a doctor must demonstrate their training, experience, and expertise in a specific medical specialty.
While plastic surgeons must obtain board-certification from one medical board, very few have earned board-certification from three. Dr. Barrera is one of the few plastic surgeons to qualify for board-certification after demonstrating his expertise to three medical boards:
- The American Board of Otolaryngology- Head and Neck Surgery
- The American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- The American Board of Otolaryngology in the field of Sleep Medicine
Dr. Barrera’s never-ending drive for growth and development resulted in these designations. Currently, Dr. Barrera is participating in Maintenance of Certification in both Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery and Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
Dr. Barrera has served as a board examiner for both the American Board of Otolaryngology and the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. He is one of four Fellowship Directors in Texas with the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. He is a passionate surgeon, constantly striving to improve his qualifications, train the brightest in the field of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, and provide superior care to his patients.
Stanford Fellowship Trained
Dr. Barrera received his training in plastic surgery and sleep medicine from some of the top surgeons in the field during a prestigious fellowship training program at Stanford University. His mentors include Dr. Richard Goode, Dr. Sam Most, Dr. Nelson Powell, and Dr. Robert Riley.
Dr. Barrera has pursued his goal of being a top plastic surgeon in San Antonio, TX from a young age. His educational studies have included:
Mentored by Richard Goode, MD and Sam Most, MD, Division of Facial Plastic Surgery, Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Stanford University, Stanford, California.
Mentored by Richard Goode, MD, Sabine Girod, MD, DDS, Ph.D., Nelson Powell, MD, DDS and Robert Riley MD, DDS, Facial Reconstructive Surgery, Stanford University, Stanford, California.
Flight Surgeon Primary Course, Brooks AFB, Texas.
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, University of Colorado, Denver, Colorado.
Mentored by Marileila Varella-Garcia, PhD., Department of Medicine, Cytogenetics Laboratory, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, Colorado.
Department of Surgery, Saint Joséph Hospital, Denver, Colorado.
University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado.
Graduate with Distinction, United States Air Force Academy (USAFA), Colorado.
Throughout his education, Dr. Barrera received many scholarships and awards including Valedictorian (Mount Pleasant High School, 1989), Graduate with Distinction (USAFA), the Health Professions Scholarship (University of Colorado), the Chancellor’s Diversity Scholarship (University of Colorado), the Regent Opportunity Scholarship (University of Colorado), Edgar and Marion Adler Scholar Award (University of Colorado), Intern of the Year at Saint Joseph’s Hospital, and the Golden Apple Resident Teacher Award for Otolaryngology (University of Colorado), and the Arthurs S. Flemming Award (George Washington University).
- Craniofacial Surgeon, Face the Future Foundation Mission to Peru 2017.
- Craniofacial Surgeon, Face the Future Mission to the Dominican Republic, 2017, 2018.
- Team Physician, Air Force Cycling Team, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014.
- Craniofacial Surgeon, Face the Future Foundation Mission to Rwanda, 2013, 2014, 2015.
- Craniofacial Surgeon with Korean and Egyptian Surgeons, Afghanistan 2010.
- Otolaryngology, ENT Surgeon, Mission to Patagonia, Chile, US Air Force, 2009
- Otolaryngology, ENT Surgeon, Mission to Peru, Church in the City, 2001, 2002, 2003
- Humanitarian Mission to Haiti, Church in the City, 1998
Dr. Barrera’s Awards and Recognition
Dr. Barrera has been honored with many awards for his surgical skill, research abilities, and contributions to the medical field. His honors include
- Top 100 Influencers in Cosmetic Medicine, Realself.com
- Texas Top Doctors, Super Doctors, from 2015 and every year through 2022
- Castle Connolly Top Doctors, Otolaryngology
- San Antonio Best Plastic Surgeon, 2019
- Honor Award, American Academy of Otolaryngology for Service – 10 years
- 1000thDiplomat, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
- Surgical Excellence Award, Pacific Air Force Command
- Special Experience Designation, Academic Surgeon, USAF
- Special Experience Designation, Master Surgeon, USAF
- Top Surgeon San Antonio 2021, 2022, and 2023 by Scene SA
Dr. Barrera is also a decorated military surgeon and proud of his 30 years of service in the United States Air Force.
Research and Publications
Research is one of Dr. Barrera’s passions. Throughout his distinguished career, he has authored more than 70 publications and earned many awards for his careful and diligent research. Dr. Barrera’s research and publications have helped to advance the fields of plastic surgery and sleep medicine.
Dr. Barrera’s awards for outstanding medical research include:
- Outstanding Contributor to the Circadian Neurobiology Research Program, Armstrong Laboratory, Brooks Lab, TX
- Outstanding Research Award, Annual Research Forum, University of Colorado
- Award for Outstanding Research Presentation, 26thAnnual Western Student Medical Research Forum, American Medical Association, Carmel, CA
- American Association for Cancer Research Minority Scholar in Cancer Research, 89th Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA
- Louise Coulter Fellowship Award for Basic Research in Pulmonary Medicine, Colorado
- Joseph and Regina Glaser Research Award for Superior Student Research, Colorado
- American Association for Cancer Research Minority Scholar in Cancer Research, 90thAnnual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA
- Glen Dorn Private Grant to investigate micrometastases in the N0 neck, Department of Otolaryngology, Denver, Colorado
- Outstanding Achievement in Clinical Research, Department of Defense
- Arthur S. Flemming Scientific Award, George Washington University
- Mary JoAnn Devine Research Poster Award, Society of Military Otolaryngologists
- Young Investigator Award, American College of CHEST Physicians
Dr. Barrera has served as the President of the Society of Military Otolaryngologists, and the San Antonio Society of Otolaryngology. He currently serves as the Secretary of the South Texas Society of Facial Plastic Surgeons. He is a Fellow of the Triological Society, the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, the American Academy of Otolaryngology- Head and Neck Surgery, and the American College of Surgeons.
Dr. Barrera has been selected to be Co-Chair of the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery International Advances in Rhinoplasty Meeting in Miami, FL in 2020.
He is also a Board Examination Item Writer for the American Board of Otolaryngology- Head and Neck Surgery, and an Oral and Written Board Examiner with the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and a member of the Emerging Trends and Technology Committee for the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
Dr. Barrera holds research grants with Stryker, LLC to advance minimally invasive nasal surgery and sleep outcomes for patients with nasal valve reconstruction.
These professional associations help Dr. Barrera to give back to the medical field and to further expand his skillset, continuing to remain at the forefront of the aesthetics industry.
Co-Chair, Advances in Rhinoplasty Meeting, American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Miami, Florida.
Affiliated with the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Educational Foundation, San Antonio, Texas.
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Department of Surgery, Bethesda, MD.
University of Texas Health Sciences Center, Department of Otolaryngology, San Antonio, TX.
San Antonio Military Health System, TX.
Department of Surgery, San Antonio Military Medical Center, (SAMMC), TX.
(SAMMC). Directed $1.1M lab, resources, and courses.
San Antonio Military Health System, San Antonio, TX
Bagram AB, Afghanistan.
Otolaryngology and Facial Plastic Surgery, Bagram Air Base, Afghanistan.
Department of Otolaryngology, Wilford Hall Medical Center, TX.
Audie Murphy Veteran’s Administration, San Antonio, TX
Temple Veteran’s Administration, Temple, TX.
Palo Alto Veteran’s Administration, Stanford, CA. (Emphasis on Facial Plastic and Maxillofacial Surgery).
Yokota Air Base Hospital, Japan.
Otolaryngology and Audiology Services, Yokota AB, Japan.
459th Airlift Wing, Yokota AB, Japan.
ENT and Audiology Element, Yokota AB, Japan
Department of Surgery, Medical Center of Aurora, CO.
San Antonio’s Facial Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Jose Barrera
Dr. Barrera is proud to be the plastic surgeon that San Antonio turns to when they want to enhance their facial appearance and reconstruction. Call Texas Center for Facial Plastic and Laser Surgery at 210-468-5426 to schedule a consultation with our award-winning and highly distinguished plastic surgeon today.