Dermal Fillers in San Antonio, TX with Dr. Jose Barrera
Surgery isn’t the only path to facial rejuvenation. Injectable dermal fillers are a non-surgical, minimally invasive option for restoring a youthful appearance. Fillers work by stimulating the body’s natural collagen production. The initial improvement in the wrinkle keeps progressing in the weeks after the injection as the body does its part to reinstate smooth, youthful-looking skin.
Additionally, there is no downtime after treatment and few side effects, making this injectable treatment an ideal option for a busy lifestyle. If you want to erase signs of aging and look more refreshed by putting the body’s natural collagen-boosting processes to work, visit Dr. Jose Barrera at RejuveMD Medical Spa to learn more about dermal fillers.
Dr. Jose Barrera is an expert in facial rejuvenation. He is a certified injector and administers all filler treatments at the on-site medical spa, RejuveMD. Come see us for natural-looking facial enhancement with dermal fillers in San Antonio, TX. Call to learn more: 210-468-5426.
How Dermal Fillers Work
Your skin is amazing. As the body’s largest organ, the skin provides valuable protection from the outside elements. Skin is strong and regenerative, but as you age, its quality begins to decline. Skin that was once tight begins to loosen. Skin laxity, combined with facial volume loss and shifting fat deposits, lead to facial aging.
Dermal fillers are the subtle solution to the aging process. They restore facial volume. As the smooth gel substance is injected into the skin, it provides instant volume to the face. Fillers then spark the body’s collagen and elastin production, improving the skin’s quality.
Hyaluronic acid fillers are one of the most popular types of dermal fillers, both at our practice and throughout the country, Hyaluronic acid (HA) is a naturally occurring substance found in the skin, connective tissues, and eyes. It is a moisture-loving substance and helps the skin retain water so it can appear full, plump, and hydrated. HA fillers use a synthetic form of hyaluronic acid that is highly biocompatible.
If you want to try fillers, but feel a bit nervous, HA fillers are an ideal starting point. HA fillers are fully reversible with an in-office treatment.
Fillers Fix More than Wrinkles
Fillers’ advantages don’t stop with wrinkles. With age, the face can lose its contours. Under-eye troughs form as the skin sags, and creases begin to form on the lips. The cheekbones lose definition. Fillers rectify these problems well.
Dr. Barrera has extensive experience with all the popular lip fillers and under-eye fillers that are available on the market. The fillers used to sculpt more definition into the face tend to be thicker than those used for wrinkles.
As an expert in facial rejuvenation, Dr. Barrera also has experience in combining treatments to achieve the desired result. Dr. Barrera offers facial fat grafting, treatment that uses a patient’s own fat to increase volume. Laser skin resurfacing can also be perfomed with dermal fillers to restore a youthful, refreshed look.
Dermal Fillers in San Antonio, TX- Our Top Picks
Do you have a lot of deep creases and sagging? Are your wrinkles fine and superficial? The quality of your skin, your facial anatomy, and aging’s effects on your face will determine which filler type will work the best for your needs. Dr. Barrera can provide specific, customized recommendations during your pre-treatment consultation with him.
When considering fillers, Dr. Barrera offers the following options:
The Restylane family of products are designed to fill and enhance your face to perfection. With many different formulations, Dr. Barrera can help you choose fillers to enhance every area of the face.
- HA fillers
- Restylane formulations available include: Restylane Silk, Restylane Refyne, Restylane Lyft, and Restylane Defyne.
- Restylane Lyft can be used both on the face, temples, jawline and hands
- Restylane injections are around $675 to $750 per syringe. More than one syringe may be needed depending on the goals of the procedure. Due to the complexity associated with non-surgical rhinoplasty, cost of treatment is approximately $900 per treatment.
- Long-lasting results; treatment timelines depend on areas treated and formulations used.
- Restylane is often used for non-surgical rhinoplasty
Restylane Silk’s innovative design is FDA approved for rejuvenating the lines around the mouth and the lips.
- Was the first filler to be formulated with lidocaine.
- Contains HA, a substance found to occur naturally in the skin.
- Is uniquely cross-linked and crafted to create a softer consistency that fills in lines with a very natural look.
- Can be carefully shaped and molded into the ideal contour after injection.
- Is FDA-approved.
- Often boasts long-lasting results, though individual results will vary.
- Is used primarily for the lips but can augment other areas at Dr. Barrera’s discretion.
- Offers convenient and affordable treatment sessions.
Restylane Kysse is the newest hyaluronic acid filler designed for lip augmentation. Dr. Barrera is impressed with the fullness it provides, especially to body of the lip and the lip border.
- Restylane Kysse helps lips appear refreshed and lessens wrinkles.
- Restylane Kysse is created with Optimal Balance Technology to enhance volume and definition.
- Clinical studies show that Restylane Kysse can last for 6-9 months, and some effects have also been seen at 12 months.
- The unique cross-linking of the hyaluronic acid gel in Restylane Kysse has been designed to improve volume in the upper and lower lip.
- Resytlane Kysse has a lidocaine in its formulation which improves comfort during treatment.
High satisfaction has been demonstrated in clinical studies with more than 86% wanting to be treated with the same product again.
The Belotero line of fillers is renowned for its quality, convenience, and satisfying results. Similar to Juvederm and Restylane, Belotero offers a variety of HA-based fillers that each target different facial areas. Belotero’s main skin rejuvenation effect comes from HA’s stimulation of the body’s natural collagen production, thereby establishing a strong support matrix to promote skin firmness and suppleness. Belotero is affordable, long-lasting, and can have a drastic anti-aging effect on the right patient.
There are several varieties of Belotero:
- Belotero Soft: This option subtly smooths wrinkles and fine lines, including forehead lines, lines around the mouth, and “crow’s feet.”
- Belotero Lips Shape and Belotero Lips Contour: These two products are specially designed to contour and enhance the lips.
- Belotero Balance: This filler targets moderate to deep wrinkles and lines, such as frown lines, lines around the mouth, marionette lines, and nasolabial lines.
- Belotero Volume: This volumizing filler is for lifting and shaping areas that have suffered age-related volume loss, such as the cheeks, temples, and chin.
Juvederm is an easy to use, adaptive filler that is ideal for most patients in all facial areas.
- HA filler
- Versatile for use from brow to chin
- Can be used in non-surgical lip augmentation
- Smooth gel consistency for natural-looking results
- Contains lidocaine for a more comfortable procedure
- Results last up to 1 year with a single treatment
Juvederm injections are around $675 to $750 per syringe. Dr. Barrera will discuss your goals and may suggest additional injections.
Sculptra is a long-lasting dermal filler used mostly for wrinkles. We’ll start your treatment with a series of up to 4 initial treatments, spaced about 3 weeks apart. Sculptra is a bioactive stimulator of collagen. It is considered a filler because it can add volume to the face. However, it has many more properties making it one of the best non-surgical facial treatments available.
- Contains poly-L-lactic acid (PLLA), a biocompatible substance that boosts collagen production
- Administered over a series of treatment sessions
- Immediate results that improve for several months after treatment
- One of our longest lasting fillers with results that last 2-3 years after the initial treatment series
- Sculptra is made of polylactic acid, a natural stimulator of collagen.
- Sculptra can be used as part of a non-surgical facelift along with Botox and other neuromodulators
- FDA-approved for cosmetic as well as HIV lipoatrophy
- The cost for Sculptra injections are around $800 per vial. More than one vial may be needed depending on the goals of the procedure.
- Sculptra is now being used to treat depressed scars and dimples due to fat atrophy and collagen loss.
- Long-lasting results; may require annual touch up vial to enhance results
- Requires a 4 – 6 vial regiment injected every 4 – 6 weeks for ideal enhancement.
- Sculptra formulation must be prepared 3 days in advanced.
- Often combined with CO2 laser resurfacing to improve collagen production for acne scarring.
Voluma is a member of the Juvederm filler family. We use this filler to lift and rejuvenate the mid-face.
- HA filler
- Used to restore mid-face volume
- Excellent longevity with results that last up to 2 years
- Contains lidocaine
- Thicker formulation for sculpting and lifting
Voluma injections are around $850 per syringe. More than one syringe may be needed depending on the goals of the procedure.
Recovery After Dermal Fillers
Recovery times are minimal after a filler treatment. Most patients return to work the next day. No downtime is required for most of the fillers we use.
Common side effects during recovery include redness, mild tenderness, bruising, and swelling. These should resolve in a few days.
Frequently Asked Questions About Dermal Fillers in San Antonio
The longevity of a filler treatment depends on the areas we treat and the products we choose. Longevity also depends on the filler G prime, a factor that is measured for longevity. Typically, patients enjoy results for six months or longer. Some of our fillers provide results for up to three years.
You’ll feel a quick pinch with each injection, but due to the small needle size and skilled hands of Dr. Barrera, most patients report minimal discomfort. Many of our fillers contain lidocaine, a numbing agent that increases comfort throughout your treatment and recovery.
Come in for a consultation with Dr. Barrera to determine if you’re a good candidate for injectable fillers. Most healthy patients seeking non-surgical facial enhancement qualify for this procedure.
With dermal fillers, a little goes a long way. Dr. Barrera is very conscientious to avoid using too much product. Typically, he limits filler quantities to no more than 6 mL in wrinkles and folds and 1.5 mL per lip. Using small quantities of fillers minimizes the chances of an adverse reaction and ensures a natural-looking result. A skilled injector is essential to avoiding an overfilled appearance when using dermal fillers.
Learn more about dermal fillers in San Antonio, TX by contacting our medical spa, RejuveMD, directed by Dr. Jose Barrera. Our board-certified plastic surgeon is an expert injector for all the filler products we offer. Call 210-468-5426 with your questions or to schedule a consultation. You can also reach out via our online form. We’ll make sure to get back to you quickly.